Survival Practice Weekend
October 25-27, 2019 - Weekend Registration CLOSED
Registration CLOSED for the Survival Practice Weekend.
Survival Practice Weekend Description: For a lot of years we have been sharing with outdoor recreationalists the skills practices to keep themselves safe in the backcountry. We all know, and should understand, that you can do everything right and something can still go wrong.
This is a co-ed weekend designed to learn and practice skills. Beginning mid-day on Saturday, participants will embark on an overnight solo that requires not only finding their campsite with a map and compass, but setting up their site with items they are carrying, finding food and water through map and compass and building fire to cook food and stay warm.
This weekend is created to give you genuine insight into how you can react – with success. Be prepared, you will need all your stamina to enjoy the weekend.
When: Friday, October 25 to Sunday, October 27. Weekend begins at 2p on Friday and concludes at 1p on Sunday – directions to be provided to registrants.
Cost: $475 per person – minimum 4/maximum 8.
Includes: Price includes all weekend instruction, non solo meals (although food for the solo will be cache for you to find) and snacks.
About Basecamp: This will be a basecamp offering. Which means, we will be outside for the entire training weekend – dress for the weather conditions. You will have access to the bunkhouse (sleeps four) for Friday night as well as to any of the outdoor space for tenting.
Weekend Participation: Participants will be provided with a list of items to bring for the overnight solo (think 10 Essentials) and items you might need on Friday at the group camp. This is a rain or shine weekend offering.
* Friday classes – Plan Ahead and Prepare and Campfire Construction.
* Friday night – buffet dinner of vegetarian and meat chili, green salad, cornbread. Dinner includes a tasting of local brews.
* Saturday classes – Land Navigation 101, Shelter Construction, Small Game Trap Construction.
* Saturday solo – pack for your solo and then head into the wild yonder for a night alone. Safety boundaries will be discussed prior to departure.
* Sunday morning – return from solo, debrief and evaluations.