Survival (with solo) Practice Weekend
October 8-11, 2021 - Registration OPEN
minimum/maximum = 4/8
to confirm minimum course offering, registration closes September 17th
Practice Weekend Description: For a lot of years we have been sharing with outdoor enthusiasts the skills and practices to keep themselves safe in the backcountry. We all know, and should understand, that you can do everything right and something can still go wrong.
For the 2021 offering we are changing up the schedule to add a half day of autumn hiking before we delve into skill practice. This will allow the schedule to slow down a bit for more practice and less concept training.
This is a co-ed weekend designed to learn and practice skills. Beginning midday on Sunday, participants will embark on an overnight solo that requires not only finding their campsite with a map and compass, but setting up their site with items they are carrying, finding food and water through map and compass and building fire to cook food and stay warm.
This weekend is created to give you genuine insight into how you can react – with success. Be prepared, you will need all your stamina to enjoy the weekend.
When: Friday, October 8th to Monday, October 11th. Weekend begins at noon on Friday and concludes at 10a on Monday.
Cost: $575 per person.
Includes: Price includes all weekend instruction, non-solo meals (although food for the solo will be cached for you to find), snacks and a small handful of survival supplies.
Basecamp Offering: This workshop will be at our Vermont property (our bunkhouse will not yet be available but tenting on property is encouraged).
Weekend Participation: Participants will be provided with a list of items to bring for the overnight solo (think 10 Essentials) and items you might need for camping on site the remainder of the weekend. This workshop is a rain or shine weekend offering and we will be outside for the entire training weekend – dress for the weather conditions. Expect to camp/tent each evening.
Sample Itinerary (subject to change):
- Friday hike – we will take a three hour hike to stretch our legs and share an overview of risks and strategies.
- Saturday classes – Plan Ahead and Prepare, Cartography Exercises, Survival Lesson Planning, Edible Plants, Campfire Building and Small Game Trap Construction.
- Saturday classes – Land Navigation 101 and Practice, Shelter Construction, Knots and Water Collection.
- Sunday solo – pack for your solo and then head into the wild yonder for a night alone. Safety boundaries will be discussed prior to departure.
- Monday morning – return from solo, debrief and evaluations.